MEMOIR WORKSHOP: LEARN HOW TO BEGIN WRITING YOUR MEMOIRS
PARTICIPANT AGE: 18+|
CLASS LEVEL: SPECIALIZED
Have you dreamed of writing a memoir but didn’t know how or where to begin? Or thought taking the time to write about what happened to you was selfish? It’s not. It’s therapeutic. Writing as a way of healing helps you get over pain in a constructive way and helps you find inner peace by focusing on the “Inside You.” Pain doesn’t distinguish between gender, religion, socioeconomic, or color, it lies beneath the surface—inside you. Though we each have a unique experience, we can heal the same way: by writing down what hurt us, still hurts us. Whether your dream is to publish your memoir, share it with family or just get it on paper, this presentation will help you with the first step in your healing and (writing!) journey.
This course combines classroom instruction with writing exercises. It provides participants with the knowledge and skills needed to begin writing their memoir/personal story and the steps to follow it to completion. Join us in-house at Artemis Academy on the date of the registered course. Once your assignment is completed, instructor will personally meet with each student for a private session at a future date TBD.
Key Topics Covered:
Practical steps for:
• Beginning your memoir/personal story
• Narrowing down your focus of the memoir/personal story
• Outlining and organizing your memoir/personal story
• Effectively capturing your memoir/personal story onto the page
• Staying motivated to finish writing your memoir/personal story
Who Should Attend:
• The presentation is for journal writers, essayists and anyone passionate about turning their personal stories of heartache, loss or trauma into memoir. The speaker will touch upon examples from her own experience of heartache and loss and how she used writing to heal and create her award-winning memoirs Half In: A Coming-of-Age Memoir of Forbidden Love, What Papa Told Me, and 90 Lessons for Living Large in 90 Square Feet (…or More).
About Felice Cohen:
Known nationally and internationally as the woman who lived in one of the world’s smallest apartments, Felice Cohen is the award-winning author of the bestselling books Half In: A Coming-of-Age Memoir of Forbidden Love, 90 Lessons for Living Large in 90 Square Feet (...or More) (inspired by the YouTube video of her tiny NYC studio with over 25 million views) and What Papa Told Me, about her grandfather’s life before, during and after the Holocaust. What Papa Told Me has been endorsed by Elie Wiesel, is taught in schools across the country, and has sold over 35,000 copies around the world. Felice has been featured on Good Morning America, NBC, CBS, NPR, Time, Globe & Mail, New York Daily News, the Daily Mail and more. She also speaks around the country leading memoir workshops, talking about how living tiny made her life larger as well as offering tips on organizing and decluttering, and about writing a book with her grandfather. Felice splits her time between NYC and Cape Cod. https://www.felicecohen.com/
REQUIRED BY ALL PARTICIPANTS
A Story to TelL
SUGGESTED FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS
Bring a Pad & Pen or laptop To Take Notes
UPCOMING SESSION DATES
March 14 6PM-8PM
artemis on-site classroom/range
444 saw mill river road, rt 9, elmsford