18HR FIREARMS SAFETY COURSE
PARTICIPANT AGE: 21+|
CLASS LEVEL: STATE REQUIRED (NY)
This concise and comprehensive Firearms Safety Course is designed to equip participants with the fundamental knowledge and skills needed to handle firearms safely and responsibly. Whether you are a first-time gun owner or an experienced shooter looking to refresh your safety practices, this course provides essential insights into firearm safety, and satisfies the requirements dictated by the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services, issued August of 2022, minimum standards to acquire a concealed carry pistol permit in the State of New York.
Course Format: This course consists of sixteen (16) hours of classroom training, plus two (2) hours of live-fire training, a written exam, and a proficiency assessment in the handling of firearms at our certified shooting range.
The sixteen (16) hour classroom training will cover the following topics:
• General Firearm Information
• Basic Principles of Marksmanship
• Conflict Management / De-Escalation / Situational Awareness
• Safe Storage and Transportation of Firearms
• Interaction with Law Enforcement
• New York State Firearm Laws and Article 35
• Suicide Awareness and Prevention
• Laws Associated with Carry and Concealed / Restricted Locations
• Adverse Effects of Alcohol and Drugs
• Federal Laws and Disqualifiers
Following completion of the sixteen (16) hour in-person classroom instruction, each student must demonstrate proficiency by:
• Achieving a minimum score of 80% on a written exam covering the course curriculum.
• Achieving a minimum score of 80% on a live-fire proficiency shooting assessment of five (5) rounds, scored on an 11" X 25.5" target, placed at four (4) yards (twelve feet).
The live-fire training curriculum consists of the student showing proficiency for and be evaluated on the following topics:
• Range Safety
• Safe Drawing, Target Acquisition, and Re-Holstering
• Dry Firing
• Safe Loading and Unloading of Ammunition
• Performing A Firearm Condition Check, Including How to Achieve and Verify a Safe and Empty Firearm Condition
• Safely Discharging the Firearm
Who Should Attend:
• Anyone looking to obtain a New York State Pistol Permit, this course is a requirement for permit application, change of classification and recertification of your permit
• Experienced shooters seeking a safety refresher
• Anyone interested in promoting responsible firearm handling and ownership
Participants will receive a “Certificate of Completion” upon successfully passing a written exam and live-fire assessment.
Join us in taking the essential steps towards responsible and safe firearm ownership. Your safety and the safety of those around you depend on it.
PROVIDED BY ARTEMIS
In Class Handouts
live fire target
rental eye & ear protection
certification (upon completion)
REQUIRED BY ALL PARTICIPANTS
ON-TIME ATtendance & participation in all parts
SUGGESTED FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS
Bring a Pad & Pen To Take Notes
artemis on-site classroom/range
444 saw mill river road, rt 9, elmsford